Discover the fascinating social and cultural context of the Portuguese-speaking world. Our program is the gateway to a deeper understanding of an array of warm and welcoming Lusophone cultures around the world!
Our challenging courses explore a range of topics, from the variety of the Portuguese language to an examination of several themes in literature, culture, film and music, including a high component of experiential education courses. Our courses offer a range of interdisciplinary options and perspectives; from the early modern period to contemporary post-colonial times.
Current data indicate that Portuguese is growing in importance not only worldwide, but also in Canada. A recent article in the Toronto Star identified the acute need for Portuguese-speaking professionals.
The growing importance of Brazil and other Portuguese-speaking countries also attest to the rising value of the language and the need for bi-lingual, bi-cultural professionals.
Did you know that...Sabias que...:
- "The most important language in the job market today is Portuguese" (Observatório da Língua Portuguesa)
- "Generation Lusophonia: why Portuguese is the new language of power and trade" (Monocle, Oct. 2012)
- "Why Portuguese is the best language for Music" (Tipsy Pilgrim, 09-12-2013)
- "Portuguese speakers will increase to 335 million by 2050" (Público, 03-25-2010)
- Portuguese is the most spoken language in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Some of the countries with the largest discoveries of hydrocarbon (Mboe) are members of the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP).
- The best CSI in the world is Portuguese (Professor Duarte Nuno Vieira)
- Portuguese is the 5th most used language on the Internet. It enjoyed the 4th largest growth rate.
- Portuguese is the 3rd most used language in social networks and in the business of oil and gas!
- It is the 1st foreign language in the education system of several countries, such as Spain, Argentina, and Namibia!
Students are encouraged to participate in York International's study abroad and summer internship Programs in a Portuguese-speaking country. York University has established programs with several universities in Brazil and added the Universidade Nova de Lisboa as its newest partner in 2011.
Find out more about international opportunities and funding for students offered by the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies.
For more information please refer to the study abroad section.